A lot of blueprinting went by and also a lot of thinking and finding solutions. Obstacle avoidance should be easy, but add variable object size and physics simulation, and the potential for bugs multiplies tenfold. I managed to create a simple obstacle avoidance, which is far from perfect, but an AI ship can now check if there is an obstacle to its target, and if there is, fire several rays in a star pattern to find the closest open space it can go to and then resume its path to target. I will leave AI at that for now because it was pretty hardcore.
I started the mission system and made basic mission managing. It’s very simple and linear, but there can be as many missions as needed in a level. At the start of the level, Event Dispatchers are bound for Starting, Advancing and Completing the Mission. These will manipulate the array of objectives, and see what their state is. The events can be called by any actor, but I think the Level Blueprint will do most mission scripting, where references of level triggers can be easily grabbed. This was pretty interesting to do, but I’ve seen enough blueprints to last a lifetime now. I’m itching for some art now =D